Tuesday, September 18, 2012

How To Prevent Shoulder Injury

I just got back from the United States Aquatic Sports Convention in Greensboro, NC where I attended a very informative and useful seminar conducted by Dr Jim Miller who is very active in both Masters Swimming and FINA. FINA regulates international swimming. I sure don't want to try to explain how FINA, USA, USMS et al fit together. Maybe I'll try that some other time. At any rate, Jim took us through dry exercises which are intended to strengthen shoulders BEFORE injury occurs. He made a point of reminding us that OTHER exercises would be better if the shoulder is already injured. A video of the exercises may be found on the FINA.org website at ....

http://www.fina.org/project/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1435&Itemid=496.

At the Convention, it was made painfully clear to me that despite all the yards and miles I swim, I am not as strong as I could be.  My cardiovascular conditioning is good. My stroke technique is not bad. But my core strength is weak. In the coming months I plan to put more time into dry land exercises and less time into being in the water. And I'll work on shoulder strength as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment