Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pilates and Swimming

After 20 years of swimming, you'd think I'd be really, really strong.  I'm sure my cardiovascular system is in good shape.  I'd guess my upper back and upper front are in good shape. But my core is weak. For me, this is a conundrum.  After all this swimming, my lower back and core are weak. For me, this explains why kicking is so difficult for me. There is no strength connecting my arms and legs.

My chiropractor, who helps me control L4, suggested I try Pilates.  He said it is a good exercise for core strength and overall stretching. Just what I need. So I followed through and joined a Pilates class. I feel as though I've discovered the mother-lode. What a great workout. It is exactly a great workout for stretching and developing core strength.Now I'm doing dry-land workouts.

Picture, if you will, nine women and me in the class. It is clear the women have been there before. It's all new to me. They blast right through the workout while I try to get L4 off the mat. They don't sweat. I do. But who cares. It's as much my workout as theirs.  My legs are getting more involved in my swimming as my core strengthens. It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment